Image credit: lordn / Adobe Stock
In Minnesota, the apple harvest begins mid-August. That means it's almost time for all things apple in your kitchen, especially with autumn just around the corner.
While apples are a nutritious snack in their raw form, we love finding creative ways to transform this beloved fruit into sweet and savory dishes. We even sell our award-winning Apple Pie Cookie Cups in our bakeries year-round!
Here are some tasty recipes to inspire you to cook with apples at home this fall.
Apple Breakfast and Brunch Ideas
Starting your day with an apple could be just what you need as the fall season begins. Here are some fun breakfast ideas to create with your favorite variety of apples:
- Apple Strudel Muffins: These hearty breakfast muffins pack a ton of flavor including cinnamon and a delicious crumb topping that’s sure to make them a new breakfast family-favorite.
- Maple Apple Turkey Sausage: Add a savory note to your apple-themed breakfast with this sausage made from ground turkey, real maple syrup, and plenty of delicious spices!
- Sauteed Apple Topping: Give your ordinary pancake syrup an upgrade by slathering this thick mixture of apples, cinnamon, and brown sugar on your favorite waffle or pancake recipes!
- Apple Banana Smoothie: If you’re searching for a lighter fare in the morning, consider making this delicious smoothie chock full of apples, bananas, and orange juice. Customize your smoothie by adding spices such as cinnamon and ginger root or by adding your go-to protein powder for a well-rounded breakfast.
Savory Apple Recipes for Lunch and Dinner
Let your creative muscles loose with these savory apple dishes to try at your next family meal:
- Apple, Ham and Cheddar Melt: Try a new and unconventional addition to your ham and cheese sandwich: apples! All you’ll need is a few basic sandwich ingredients and an oven to melt the cheese once you have a nice toasty crust.
- Brussels Sprouts with Diced Bacon and Apples: While it’s not an everyday combination, bacon’s smokiness paired with tart apples will complement your plain old brussels sprouts. Try roasting the brussels sprouts in the oven before adding them to the apple mixture for even more flavor.
- Pork Loin with Apple-Cornbread Stuffing: Pairing apples with meats such as this pork loin recipe adds a fresh and sweet taste to an otherwise rich and fatty dish. The buttery cornbread is sure to tie everything together.
- Curried Apple Soup: No autumn meal is complete without soup! Curry powder and ginger spices give this apple and cream-based soup a grounding warmth that’ll have you licking the bowl.
Apple Snacks and Desserts
Don’t forget dessert! Here are a few creative ideas to use apples in dessert and snack dishes:
- Skillet Apple Pie: Try a new way to make a classic apple pie. Be sure you have an oven-safe skillet on hand and some caramel sauce for a delicious surprise twist!
- Apple Crisp Cheesecake: This caramel-flavored cheesecake is topped with an apple crumbly oat topping all enveloped in a rich graham cracker crust. Trust us: this dessert just may be your new fall favorite.
- Slow Cooker Apple Butter: Apple butter’s versatility is what makes this delicious spread so popular! This easy-to-make slow cook version will have you using the final product on toast and bagels or even adding to vanilla ice cream and oatmeal.
- Baked Apple Chips: This simple, three-ingredient recipe will give you a low-sugar, crunchy snack. Remember: the thinner the cut of the apple, the crispier the chip!
Ready for some more fall flavors at The Cookie Cups? Visit our stores or order online for some tasty, bite-sized treats the whole family will love.